AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 9400 COMBINE, ENGINE PROBLEMS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sdPete
Posted 9/12/2006 10:27 (#43213 - in reply to #43130)
Subject: RE: JD 9400 COMBINE, ENGINE PROBLEMS

Beresford SD
First off have the vibration damper inspected, preferably by a JD service dept. A few of the early production 359's had a problem with the retaining bolt which in some cases caused the damper to work loose on the crank and thus the crank was vulnerable to failure. Deere did have a PIP which replaced the damper pulley and bolt, so you need to verify that this was done to your machine. There were many machines out there which did not have the damper pulley replaced and worked fine, it was not a problem comparable to the recent crankshaft situation with the 8.1 engines. One telltale symptom is oil leaking out of the front crank seal, you can understand how that could be serious. The 359 engine enjoyed high owner satisfaction in other applications, a few misfortunes with combines tended to spoil it for everyone. Ours had 3700 hr on engine when traded it last year, it should run a long time if serviced properly. Considering the size of that engine I would have to say it had impressive power, although Deere changed to a 414 engine during the 3rd model year of production.

The later models with the bigger engine are not exempt from the problem as I do know of one in my area, a 9410, which had engine failure. I am not sure that his was due to a defect in manufacture, any engine can fail if the damper goes bad. The failure rate on dampers is so small that often they are overlooked.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)