AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calves born without anus?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoBob
Posted 8/1/2008 15:31 (#426456 - in reply to #426297)
Subject: RE: Calves born without anus?

West Central Wisconsin
Thanks to all who have responded so far. I will try to answer a few questions some have asked. Genetics seems to be the most logical to me also, however, I was able to check pedigree on the last two calves only and they share nothing in common with either the sire or dam/grand dam. We are a closed herd, are 100% AI, on official DHIA and are also a 100% registered herd. We have never posted any of the calves as our vet feels it would not be of any benefit. Our vet has seen this before, however, he did say he has seen a higher occurrance this year than ever before on other farms. I don't know if this is signficant or not but there was a high nitrite level in the well water 3/4 of a mile away at one our farms homes. That was only a sandpoint and has been corrected but it was an issue for my wife and I when we were starting our family 22 years ago. Wether or not nitrites can have an effect on bovines as well I don't know. I have not had the well water tested here on the main farm but it may be worth looking into.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)