AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Like to scared myself silly today, priced fertilizer.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 7/29/2008 21:53 (#424475)
Subject: Like to scared myself silly today, priced fertilizer.

.99 for Urea
.95 for P in Dap
.80 for K

That makes a 60, 40, 40 about $125 an acre. I don't see how to make that work.

Anybody got any words of wisdom?

It sure looks like the powers that be don't care about having cattle in the U.S. I've always liked having cattle as a "backup". In the event of corn below cost of production I can run it through a set of feeders. Low test weight wheat? Same deal. I hate the thought of giving up the flexibility of having a cowherd. But, on acres that can be dual use, it sure looks like the market is at the tipping point of going to rowcrops or cash hay on all but the very roughest ground. I really don't like the thought of backing myself into that corner, but I'm not sure I'm seeing any great alternatives either. Everybody says fertilizer prices are going to remain high/higher through at least 2010. I really don't like the thought of the cowherd being a drag on income for the next 3 years. However, I also don't like the thought of putting all my eggs in one basket. And just for the record, I've priced litter, compost, etc, etc, etc. None of it is a bargain. I'll spread all the manure that I can this summer, but it's so wet I can't even get that done. And, I wonder if the return wouldn't be better on crop ground anyway.

Can anybody help me out of this funk?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)