AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moss/scum growing in livestock water tanks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 7/29/2008 20:59 (#424414)
Subject: Moss/scum growing in livestock water tanks

We have two livestock water tanks that fill with water using float valves and garden hoses in our cow yard so the dairy cows have something to drink when they come back from pasture and are waiting to get into the barn before milking.

However, one of the tanks is constantly growing slimey blue/green stuff and then the cows won't drink much from that tank because of the alaege or whatever it is. I've emptied the tank and scrubbed it clean with a brush a few weeks ago and for a while when the water was pretty clean, they drank quite a bit out of it until the scum started growing again. Now they won't even touch it again. They all want to fight over the clean tank, while the scummy tank gets scummier.

Any ideas on what to put in the tanks to keep the water clean, but not make the water taste funny so consumption is reduced? These two tanks are their main sources of water, so the water must remain palatable. My vet told me to use bleach, but that just doesnt sound right to me. I can't see a cow drinking bleach tainted water very well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)