AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Continuous corn vs corn bean rotation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 7/29/2008 20:56 (#424411 - in reply to #424211)
Subject: RE: Continuous corn vs corn bean rotation

Thumb of Michigan
A rotation suggestion I found quite intrigueing was one being done at Dakota Lakes Research Farm. Dwayne Beck was trying a couple of different things, but heres the basics:

1 yr winter wheat
1 yr spring wheat
1 year GMO soy
1 yr non GMO soy
1 yr GMO corn
1 yr non GMO corn

I heard him talk about the concept a couple of years back, he may have changed things around a bit. His website should have something on it. Anyway, the concept wasn't whether you raised spring wheat or not, for instance. His concept is that disease and insects can't adapt to a rotation like this. You could kind of insert whatever crop works better in your area, but plant it back to back, then be out of it for 6 years. He contends (and I agree) that a corn/soy rotation isn't really a great rotation, and ultimately things like rootworm figure it out. If you can introduce a cover crop into the mix as well, things should be better. His idea was that with a rotation like this, you weren't going to have weed, insect, and disease resistance for a very long time.

As far a N contribution to soys- all depends on the weather between harvest and side dress time. I've measured 10# and I've measured almost 50#. I kind of sort of feel I can ALWAYS bank on 20# as a minimum.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)