AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Huge lump on goat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Loadhog
Posted 7/25/2008 01:36 (#421620 - in reply to #420987)
Subject: RE: Huge lump on goat

i have raised goats for 10 years so have some knowledge on the subject. It probably is a CL lump and is contagious within the herd if you let it break open. There are many schools of thought on culling these animals vs keeping them. I don't know what your situation is or how many animals you have. If you are raising them as a business i wouldn't suggest culling the animal soley on that problem. If you only have a few for pets then i would cull it. There are very few commercial herds that havn't dealt with this. One way of treatment is to inject the lump with formaldehyde. You wait until it is hard and getting close to ripe (breaking stage), Then put a needle in and extract a couple cc's of pus. Then inject about 1cc for a small lump and 2 cc's for a big lump in a couple of spots in the lump. Make sure you use rubber gloves and dispose of anything that gets the pus on it by burning them. The gloves can be reused just bleach them off really well. The lump will then dry up and fall off and the goat should be just fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)