AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cow herd questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 7/18/2008 14:23 (#417820 - in reply to #417700)
Subject: RE: How do you figure this?

North Mo.
I'm sure you do well on your calves. We all look at the price received me included. Will your heifers stand and breed with no grain, no supp. and little if any hay only graze stockpile. Mine still don't. I was buying perf. tested bulls in 1968 and up, had one of the first 7 frame Angus bulls around, had simmi in 1974 and up finally had all I could take. Took a complete change of philosophy about 5 years ago, but I had been thinking about it for years. I decided the things that would help keep me in business were longevity of the cow, longevity of the cow, longevity of the cow. Look at your herd just about everyone has that old cow you sort of make fun of cause she isn't outstanding but really she is. I bought a bull from a guy whose mother was 14 when he weaned off just too bad he is blk. I will still keep some of his daughters. I'd love to have a whole herd like that and not to many AI studs promote that type of beef animal. I was looking at a AI ad. the other day they were bragging about a milk epd of +35 bet the daughters wouldn't do that on grass or worse die trying. Now if you can use your AI bull for a terminal I really don't see anything wrong with that, but the temptation to keep that real flashy heifer will get you in the end. All this said everyones situation is different. Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)