AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freeze on CRP
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 7/13/2008 20:40 (#414910 - in reply to #414795)
Subject: RE: CRP contracts

I don't know of any cattle outfits in my area that figure on using CRP on a yearly basis. It does seem like we have been in a drought for over all most 15 years here, so there is a need for supplemental grazing. The problem the two constraints on CRP ground at least here is fences, and water. What little ground that is developed here is used. It's a lot easier to take Gov. payments than develop the ground for grazing. I have no CRP ground or desire to graze it. That old non-grazed grass has no kick to it, you have to supplement feed to get any good out of it. My biggest gripe is that in those CRP contracts, those farmers were to fence cattle off, and they were paid for it. Plus when they first got the ground from the Gov. in the homestead act, they were to fence out. The Federal Government doesn't fence against private ground. Now this ground has been through several change of owners, and they don't think they have to fence. They constantly are trying to change fence laws here.

Any time you take a payment from the Federal Gov. you run the risk of being told what, and how you will run your outfit. I've taken some big payments from the Gov. over the years, that have really helped out to keep us going. But I'm beginning to hate it now, as they have more control over you, over the years. I'm fighting a deal now with the RMA and a insurance company over crop insurance. I did nothing wrong, it was screw up on part of the FSA, and a crop adjuster. And now they are coming after me. I wish I had never had crop insurance, let alone file a claim. I'm learning my lesson well on this one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)