AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk me out of hi-tensile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 7/9/2008 09:02 (#412140 - in reply to #412019)
Subject: Re: Talk me out of hi-tensile

NE
Pofarmer,
I assume you are directing that question to me ?
When I first started, I was using Southern Yellow Pine CCA treated posts. Things were working well, about 15 yrs ago I noticed quality was becoming a issue as I was replacing a very small percentage after 5 yrs or so . It became increasingly worse very fast after that and I started to search for a better mousetrap. Red Pine, Lodge Pole pine, Fir , Penta etc all seem to be no better or worse in my opinion. I found a 5 x 7 plastic post on the market that seemed to fill the bill about 8-9 yrs ago . I used them extensively for 4-5 yrs with great success and somewhat a higher cost ( $ 7.50 ) but I felt it was worth it for long term . Anyway long story short I researched and developed a plastic post myself made by a company in Canada......things were looking up , I had a 4" for the not too heavy pressure fences plus the 5" also . Then came along the hammer ........energy cost started to rise....... what once was cheap recycled plastics no longer was available because alot of manufacturer starting blending recycled with their virgin plastics to cheapen up their costs. So all the sudden what I was getting was a surplus and environmentally sound product became a shortage and in great demand, thus going from .13/ lb up to over .80/lb at that time. I have no idea where its running now ? So , after about 3 semi loads of posts, my post costs were rising beyond where I thought I could feasibly sell them . Now that put me back to the other Canadian company that was making them much cheaper than I could ? But either their plastic contract ran out or they stopped to figure their costs one day and realized they were going backwards also. So next thing you know the posts that started out @ $7.50 went to $9.50 and got as high as $23.00 before they shut their doors. I've heard they have opened up shop in California since then, making a 4" post that to me is far inferior to what they used to make in Canada ? Plus still way too expensive to use in my mind.
So , to answer your question the last 3 yrs I've been using the black creosote SYP posts ....are they the answer ....no but they are the "best Available" I could get in semi load quantities. Today's CCA treated and Penta treated are just junk in my opinion. Only other post worth a hoot is "hedge" which I can't get in semi loads plus are never straight enough for me to drive with hyd post driver for a commercial usage either so isn't a option for me.
Another post that I've had good success with in paddock divisions or somewhat temp elect fencing is the "powerflex" composite posts. I've installed them in some tough deer and creek situations and seemed to have held up great so far ?
I still prefer plastic yet today but the costs are too high for me to convinced my clients in their use.......therefore in my opinion creo is next best and that's not saying alot I'll be the first to admit. Lumber quality is terrible anymore not only in posts but dimensional too in my opinion but what are our choices ?
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)