AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

milking parlor questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rodave
Posted 6/26/2008 17:40 (#405031 - in reply to #404350)
Subject: some advice from someone who has been there and done that

I just wanted to add my bit of experience. In 2000 I started out on my own with 10 cows, a stanchion barn and bucket milkers, in a year I had a pipeline and 30 cows. In 2004, I started on a expansion project with a very tight budget (30,000$) I first converted a loafing barn into a freestall for 60 cows, than after touring several farms with the local surge dealer, installed a highline 5 stall auto flow parlor ( i only bought the stalls and they were used and in on trade). I was able to use a lot of stuff from the old tiestall, pulsators, milkers, milk pipe, though I did have to buy the take offs, but they were used. Another feature of my setup is the sliding door in the holding area, it opens into a section of the old tiestalls, I kept 8 tie stall and put in 2 box stalls, the highline from the parlor goes in over them, and I have a place to milk cows I want to segregate from the herd, this works super for drying off cows, lame cows, and for fresh cows. I cant think of the link for the video, but look on you tube( type in milking parlor), there is a few videos of simple swing parlors there. Also, try to get out to some farms, and see what they are doing, what they like, and what they would do different. Better yet try to arrange spending a little time in one at milking time. The big thing to consider is where you want to take your herd, is 140 cows the upper limit or do you want to expand in the future? Keep this in mind with your project. My setup, I can add the second side and have a 10 stall parlor and double the herd size without adding any buildings, it cost a little more at the time but iun the long run it will save me money when I decide I want to expand. Good luck with this and keep us posted with your plans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)