AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The $ value of corn silage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Chadsu42
Posted 6/20/2008 21:37 (#401601 - in reply to #401247)
Subject: RE: The $ value of corn silage

central Kentucky
I feed a lot of hay, and it takes a lot of ground to produce 800 to 1000 rolls. Since corn has gotten higher we are chopping more silage becasue it frees up more land for grain production. We had a drought last year in central Kentucky and now round bale hay is selling for $50 plus a roll. This is all making me question having any cattle for a few years. I really enjoy raising cattle and we have all the facilities and equipment to do so. We also raise about 400 acres of corn, 450 to 500 acres of beans, and 200 acres of wheat. I could easily add another 200 to 300 acres of crop ground if we eliminated the cattle and free up the hay and pasture ground that is tillable. If you add up all the costs of producing silage and compare it to corn for grain, I don't think you would like the numbers. My guess is that $114 is conservative.
I sell some calves to friends and neighbors as processed beef. I feed out the steers and take them to a local locker. I have been selling them for $300 a quarter, but that is possibly too cheap with the current price of grain.

Edited by Chadsu42 6/20/2008 21:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)