AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Claas fixed chamber experience?? round balers again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 6/16/2008 22:00 (#399050 - in reply to #398988)
Subject: Re: Claas fixed chamber experience?? round balers again

HHO:
Ours is a tad older than that so I don't know how much the changed the controller. Ours does not even have anything to put on the tractor. You just hook up the power cable which has a connector so that you can disconnect from the baler quickly. All the electronics are inside the baler on the RH side. Inside there is a switch for net wrap or twine and number of wraps. From there it is just a matter of watching the pressure guage and lights as you are baling. I haven't found any type of hay that has given us problems and we have baled alfalfa to timothy to mixed grass with clover. The only issue we ever had starting a bale is when we tried to bale straw behind the axial flow combine. It was tricky to get it started. Likewise it was hard to get the wrap started on the slick straw too. Yes you do need to weave some to keep the bale even but nothing extreme. As far as the bale being tight I believe so but it is what they call a soft core bale. By that I mean instead of looking like one of the pecan twirls all the way to the center, its' center is more star shaped but even though the center starting point is softer the outside is tight and sheds water very well. The only caution I mention is BE VERY VERY CAREFUL AROUND THE KNIFE FOR THE NET WRAP. I don't remember exactly what we had to do (something with knife adjustment and a new roll of wrap) but if you do not follow the instructions correctly you can cause the knife to drop on your arm or hand. Use all the saftey stops that it has. It is important to keep the bearings on each roller well lubed as well as the chains. No I don't think that it was because the fixed chamber was bad idea. In fact I can't think of a reason I wouldn't want a fixed chamber baler. Maybe someone else can tell me why I would? Just one of those things that the hay baler market demands so they make it. Maybe belted balers are made cheaper than all the metal rollers and bearings? The only drawback that I can think of is that it is a german made machine and over there they use the metric system so you will need to have metric tools if you need to do any work or adjusting on it. The chains are also metric. I haven't kept up very well with the baler market but I what I have seen is the ones in good condition like you have found seem to be around $10K on dealers' lots. Individuals I have seen them as low as $5K. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and this one has given use 10 trouble free years.. Knock on wood:) Any other questions feel free to ask or email me; addy is in my profile.

Good Luck and Happy Baling!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)