AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Man this sucks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotman
Posted 5/28/2008 08:31 (#386209 - in reply to #385937)
Subject: RE: BTDT

NW Tennessee

Happens to me in some form or another most every season. We just got started planting beans Saturday. Black dirt was a little rough, but I put them down 1.5" or so into good moisture, maybe 2" in mixed dirt. I've been more guilty of planting too shallow than too deep. Guess what, we got probably 2" (haven't looked yet this a.m.) over the last 24 hours. May get to do those con till planted beans over.

Worse than that is a field of cotton that is a MESS due to operator error, and I am the operator. I set the planter, but inadverdently didn't lock the depth control lever in the holes on the outside row. It slipped and planted that row probably 2"-2.5" deep. So now I have 2 rows every 22 rows all the way across a 140 acre field with little to nothing on them. And to top it off, we got a hard shower shortly after planting that sealed some areas of the field over, so I barely got enough up anyway. And of course, it's right on the highway! Was planning to re-plant, but now after this rain, it will be June 1 before I can get back in the field, so this may just have to be a skip-row test. Oh yeah, and to top it off, trying to prevent glypho resistance issues, I sprayed a PE behind the planter that prevents me from planting beans.

Don't know if that makes you feel any better, but at least you can see you're not alone. It won't be your last mistake, unless you are a whole lot better or luckier than I am. I'm 47 and been full time farming with my dad for 28 years and still make plenty of screw ups planting and otherwise but maybe I'm just a sloooow learner. Or a little dense. But you know, it seems like, so far, the good Lord makes everything work out in the end. One way or the other.

Sorry for such a long post, didn't mean to ramble on so long.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)