AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

spike closing wheels- conventional tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notiller1
Posted 5/27/2008 02:01 (#385414 - in reply to #385279)
Subject: RE: Do you have any pictures?

IN
Never took any pictures either, but I can assure you it's true. Had an agronomist look at our corn the other day and was amazed at how it works. The Martins make the nicest closure of any set of wheels, even in sticky soil. You can't beat the way they crumble off the soil over the row. However, Martin has always had a few quality control issues with their products. Bearings have been their weak point. They are alot better than they used to be though. I wouldn't spend the money on anything else. Get the double wheels too. Saving a few bucks will someday cost you more! Single spaders are okay until things get tight. I've seen more than once where the corn plant makes a 90 degree turn over to the point of least resistance where the spader ran because the rubber wheel "packed" the other side. Why stress the plant that much more? Also, spaders and rubber wheels were never designed to be ran using the same amount of down pressure. It is a poor compromise if you are going to get serious about notill.

Edited by notiller1 5/27/2008 02:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)