AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till Corn on Corn at an ANGLE to the old rows...technology changes things (video and pics - work)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 5/26/2008 08:57 (#384932 - in reply to #384860)
Subject: RE: 0.6 vs 0.8 lbs of N per bu

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim what I'm trying to get across is this. The recs for N application CHANGE as prices change, both the product cost and the price of corn. So if you have a client that says he's been using .6 all these years then he is definatley missing the boat a few times and giving up yield and profit.
If the price of N is 1000$ aton and corn is 2$ then probably .4 lbs of n per bu is maximum return on investment. If corn is 8$ and N is 400 $ a ton then 1 lb of N per bu is probably closer to maximum return on investment.
What I'm trying to say is the recs CHANGE as the prices change.
I leaned towards the high side on N this year, WHY??? I think corn prices could hit 8$, thus I will take a chance on a few more lbs of N to maximize that price level. So marketing has a factor in my N usage. Never before in history have we had such volitile markets, I plan to reap the benefits from that if it occurs.
I always put on a strip where I use 250 lbs Of N. Then yield check that. Then I know what my highest yields are that can be obtained without having N as my limiting factor. Some years I see no change others I see higher yields. Its not economical but it does give me a parameter.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)