AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

don't let the sun set if you have a problem with a friend
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 5/26/2008 01:18 (#384847 - in reply to #384615)
Subject: Re: don't let the sun set if you have a problem with a friend

Had somewhat of a similiar situation happen to me a few years back, except I was in your friend's shoes. I had rented a small farm for several years from a distant relative on a 50/50 share basis. Landowner decides he wants to go to a cash rent & I put what I thought was a fair bid in.

Landowner calls & says he has received a higher bid & is going that way and adds it will be up for bids each year in case I want to bid. I don't blame him for taking the higher bid which happens to be from a friend, not close but a friend.

A couple months later the wife & I are in a fast food returarant one evening eating when the friend walks in & past us. I noticed that he acts embarassed when he sees us & hardly speaks. After finishing our sandwhiches I walk over & sit down at his table & start talking with him. One thing leads to another & he brings up the subject of the farm. Come to find out that the landowner called him & asked him to rent the ground even though he dosn't know him. He also tells me what he paid in cash rent which was less than my bid.

I told my friend not to worry about it & it didn't change anything between us. I could see the relief on his face and we shook hands as I left. Now my feelings are somewhat different towards that landowner. I did a lot of things for him at no charge, such as repairing tile, cleaning fencerows & clearing his driveway of snow in the winter with seldom a thank you in return. I even took our tractor & set his son's modular home when the tow truck couldn't get it backed in.

My friend & I are still friends but you can bet I never have cleared any snow for the former landowner nor will I ever. He could inherit a 1,000 acres & offer it to me for free rent & I wouldn't farm it. The guy flat out lied to me & I don't have any use for that kind of person. What really gets me is the guy professes to be such a high & mighty Christian. I might be just a C&E Christian but I think I'm closer to God than he will ever be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)