AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you guys offer moral support..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

minus40
Posted 5/25/2008 20:55 (#384649)
Subject: Do you guys offer moral support..

...and maybe some words of advise?
The stress is almost unbearable after my big screw up seeding. About 2300 acres was not deep enough and is sitting just under the soil to 1 inch deep in dry dirt. Mainly canola and canary seed, couple fields of barley. I was shooting for 1 inch depth on the small seeds and thought it was doing ok. I do check two to three times per field and thought it was ok. Now I find alot of it was just scratched in???? I checked and thought it was ok??????? Sure there is lots that are an inch deep but way too much is just in.
I have been doing the seeding on my family farm for around 25 years and have never even remotely done a screw up this bad. I check the depth with a tool that has graduated marks on it and my brother looks when he is around the seeder. I'm the seeding guy and my father and brother put their faith in me to do a good job.

It's been very dry here and the soil is super hard. Yet there was moisture for seeding and I blew it. It did dry out after seeding but I should have prepared for that. We have new packers last year for our drill, it was very wet last spring and our old narrow packers packed too hard in wetter conditions. I still have those packers.........Hindsight is pretty good vision! It's pretty hard to take when you screw up something you can control. The droughts and hail, frost and such are bad enough but at least that's not my fault.

Not sure what to do. I am still vibrating with stress.
We had some rain early this morning, a couple tenths. The forecast is dry. Oh ya it's supposed to freeze tonight also.
A half inch of rain would have covered up my poor job of seeding.
I don't intend this to be a "pity me post" it helps to get it out. Maybe some of you have been unlucky enough to be in a similar situation and lend me some wisdom.

I farm east of saskatoon in sakatchewan. Maybe it's time for a new occupation, there has been a lot of hell the last 8 years

BTW I love reading this site.

Daryl
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)