AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till Corn on Corn at an ANGLE to the old rows...technology changes things (video and pics - work)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 5/25/2008 14:49 (#384510 - in reply to #384437)
Subject: RE: good post

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Whoa ,wait a minute, who said I recommended DUMPING on the N?? I am talking .8 lbs of N per bu, Jim talks .6, I don't consider that dumping to much N on.
Selling strip till equipment by saying .6 lbs of n is all that is needed is off the mark. For one it has never been proven that one can go that low vs other methods of N placement and still get ECONOMIC yields at THESE prices.
If you would care to read the IA state formulas I believe my .8 is alot closer to economic yields than the .6 that jim says is gospel and is all you need. Nowhere in the recs does it account for tillage practices or give different recs for different tillage practices.
Jim is saying for 150 bu goal all you need is 90 lbs. What happens if the weather is good and the maximum yield jumps to 200 or above. Do you think the 90 lbs of N is going to get the job done for maximum economic yields??If corn goes to 8$ is 120 lbs more profitable than 90??Easily.My N cost me .30 last fall, 30 lbs x .30 is 9$, A bu and a half is all I need to pay for it!!!!!! So why would you cut back???

It doesn;t bother me if an individual farmer cuts his rates ,but it does bother me when salesman make claims they can't prove and then an unsuspecting farmer follows those recs.
If fall aplication goes, there won't be enough equipment or N supplies top put it all on in the spring.
I am not using MORE just because ,I am using MORE because the price of corn and present N prices SAY I can economically use more.
What will I do if the prices doubles or triples in the future. Well I guess my soil test levels will be high becasue I did not cut back today. So I can RIDE it out, unlike those that are cutting rates back now under your recomendations
Besides I thought ahead, I have hog barns so I don't need P and K

Edited by Mlebrun 5/25/2008 20:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)