AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till Corn on Corn at an ANGLE to the old rows...technology changes things (video and pics - work)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

joeatdawn
Posted 5/25/2008 00:00 (#384248 - in reply to #384195)
Subject: good post

I can't believe people get so bent out. I thought Farmdude's post was mean spirited and maybe it wasn't. I count Paul as a friend regardless of selling anything. In fact, NAT is as much a way to interact with existing users as anything. We're not perfect and our products aren't either. Greywolf has the hardest soil to spring strip till anywhere period. Is our product working perfectly for him, probably not. Do I want to interact with people in real time over long distances in order to gain feedback and improve performance- yes. I cut my teeth in the Linux community and college and that participative mindset never really left. Whatever. No one thing is ever the right thing for everyone. I hope people don't mistake the fact that we are passionate about what we do for thinking that. It is retarded for people to be saying that either no till, strip till, or conventional is the ubiquitous "best" practice. Every time I sense one of these idiotic conversations starting where people are just talking past each other I cannot believe it is happening yet again. People treat tillage like a religion. Or worse- politics!
There is so much confusion because we are talking very generally about very specific things. The strip till most people have experience with is a totally different ball game and there is a tendency to want to lump strip-till into a monolithic sort of thing. Which it certainly is not. Just the same as conventional tillage and no till. There's a lot of different ways to do it.
For the record, we do put nh3 down and I believe it was just the other day I was saying how it is one of my highest priorities.
On the 10 degree angle thing. One of the main reasons I think they did that was because the customer was on a 40 foot planter last year and a 60 ft this year. Of course you will never get it to line up quite right. So going at a slight angle is easier than having numerous rows continuously running directly on the old row. I agree with Jim that this new technology let's you take a square field and manage that a lot easier and in a way you could not before.
I think it is easy for people to argue counterproductively in online forums. At least every one I have ever seen has descended into infighting. Whether it be people with rosacea- the network parallel computing community or- Agriculture. At the same time I sincerely appreciate my relationships with a lot of guys on here and have learned a lot from them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)