AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till Corn on Corn at an ANGLE to the old rows...technology changes things (video and pics - work)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmdude10
Posted 5/24/2008 17:24 (#384026 - in reply to #383680)
Subject: RE: To Fred, if that is your real name

Jim
This started out to be an innocent little jab to Paul about some of the comments against us that choose to use minimum tillage in his area but I feel a need to reply to you about some of your comments now.

I had a call from someone from a magazine who was in that area of Illinois today trying to take pictures and from what he was telling me folks are FAR from finished planting corn in that area, regardless of tillage system.
So a guy taking pictures for a magazine knows more about what is going on here than I do! They must not have been in this area. 90%+ of the corn is planted and at least 50% of the beans are in. We actually have not been that wet here but just have not had very many good drying days in between small showers. Ground that had anything done to it at all last fall will work and stuff that has not been touched will not.

Please note also this quote from Greenfield, IL (near you) from the rain thread on the machinery page:
"The parts guys are happy looks like they wont have to work memorial day. Sure wish we had too. We only have 3% of or corn planted and beans we havent even thought about those yet."
This fellow must need your advice/criticism also or he would be "finished" like you.

Greenfield is quite a ways southeast of here and may well be in an area that has had some major rains unlike here where we have had a string of small showers. I am done with the field cultivator if he need to use it.

Some of the worst "stuck" equipment I've heard of this spring has been in fields worked last fall, especially the deeper tilled fields.

The only ones stuck in this area that I know of are the ones trying to make strips in ground that is to wet to be in. Ground that had any kind of tillage done last fall, even strips, has been drying off and working decent unlike some of the heavier dirt that had nothing done to it.

It would be very interesting also to see just how much of that fall anhydrous is still around and available to the corn plant come July when it needs it, especially this year with all the rain since fall application. There are a number of folks I know who had to put down anhydrous last fall because it was so much cheaper than _____. So they put down 200 units of "cheap" fall anhydrous while we have folks that raise very good IL & IA corn and have for years on 120 units of spring applied N.

So just because I put down NH3 last fall I am a nitrogen abuser in your opinion. I would like to see your data that shows that my nitrogen is gone and unavailable by July. Even if I did put on 200 units last fall it will still cost me less per acre than 120 units applied this spring due to the increase in N prices. I notice you seem to run down people who use NH3 as a nitrogen source, could this be because the equipment you sell works best with liquid N.

This is about a $16./acresavings in fuel alone with our type strip till vs conventional fall tillage
U of I data shows a 5 bpa decrease for corn planted now over corn planted 10 days ago so I gained $15 per acre over the added fuel costs by getting corn planted in a timely manor. That’s what keeps me and my landlords happy.

This is a free country and you certainly have the right to farm as you see best. Others have the right to farm as they wish. An unfortunate fact of rural life is some folks feel they have to comment on what neighbor's are doing.

I am just returning the favor to Paul. I have heard him make several comments, some on here, about how we are wasting fuel, money, and time working our ground. In a adverse years such as this some of these types of cost saving ideas can come back and bite you where it hurts if you can’t get your crops planted. But I guess I should apologize because I forgot that we are not allowed to criticize you strip tillers but its ok to blast us for using NH3 and tillage to raise a crop.

I am getting a little tired of the strip/no tillers on here with the "can do no wrong" attitude and people like you jumping in to defend them so you can sell more equipment. I thought this site was supposed to be non-commercial.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)