AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-Till and Sod, and Sand, and Flood Irrigation-never no tilled
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 5/22/2008 09:52 (#382581 - in reply to #382171)
Subject: Re: No-Till and Sod, and Sand, and Flood Irrigation-never no tilled

Kittitas Co. Wa. State
IS it actually FLOOD irrigated or is it rill irrigated ?? (I know in some area's fields are "dead flat" and there is actually a moat around the field-gates at the top end and bottom end and the field is actually "submerged" in water.)

I'm not in anyway shooting down the no-till, (thou I did a "minimum till" this year and the crop looks awful, visually and financially. ) What you really might want to try is P.A.M. which you put into the water. The better you can mix the Pam in the water the better it is, but PAM will make a tremendous difference in the ability of holding the sand, preventing the water from washing the sand. I have a loamy type soil and slopes and there was scientific tests done on the farm on the ability of Pam reducing the washing soil,, something in around 130 % reduction in turbidity . I use more PAM than ANYONE in my area. Last year alone I used over $1500 + in Pam. Additionally there is a huge benefit in the way water interacts with the soil. Water usually goes down faster than it moves laterally. (generally) With Pam in the water, water goes down about 5-8 inches then moves laterally in all directions quicker than it moves down through the soil profile. In rill irrigation (as I use) Pam makes the water move across the rows much quicker than it moves down the soil profile. Pam works by breaking the "tension" (i believe it's called) and will not ALLOW the soil to mix with the water.

I highly suspect the grass is not nearly as "dead" as you may think. It's very possible the grass is just dormate waiting for water to explode. (same as the rest of the weeds are..) I believe unless you're able to get the seed into the ground 1-1 1/2 inches it may very well wash during the first flooding. (assuming you mean true "flood irrigation") Far as fertilizer,, run around take a few soil samples, mix together, and have it analized,, as you have no records of whats been done for fertilizer over the last few years. (again assuming you're not privy to that info.)

Main point is try the PAM especially since the field hasn't been watered in years, (super dry) and sandy soil. Pam will really make the water act differently and interact better with the soil. If it were me I would figure out a way to spread the water from the top gate on the field,, to stop the washing effect. But,, that's just my guess based on reading a screen on a computer,,, Nothing beats "hand's-eye's on" knowledge of what your situation is.

just my 2 cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)