AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-Till and Sod, and Sand, and Flood Irrigation-never no tilled
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/21/2008 15:59 (#382171)
Subject: No-Till and Sod, and Sand, and Flood Irrigation-never no tilled

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I've got a place I just rented, it is just a small piece but need to get something going on it soon. Place has been in pasture, like 3 years ago. Since then it has not been irrigated. It has dried up to the point where only a little grass is left at all. That and a bunch of mustard and other annual weeds. Ideally I would fall plow something like this, that isn't an option now. My only real option is to rototill, and I figure that will run around $50/acre. Then as this place is flood irrigated I will have to worry about sand washing real bad.

Since all I'm planting is beardless barley we will cut for hay or silage, I'm thinking about trying no-till. I was thinking about running a light chisel or heavy harrow around to smooth it up a little, irrigating and then rent a no till drill and plant it. Would probably hit it with a strong dose of Roundup before the barley emerges. No one around here uses a no-till drill, and it is used mostly for planting grass seed into alfalfa to make a mixed stand.

That is what I'm thinking, what problems will I run into? Would the seed possibly float out when it is flooded, as I might have to irrigate it again before it emerges. What about fertilizer? Normally I would have it spread and then disc it in. Any advise or tips would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)