AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would make you hire a custom operator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 5/21/2008 13:10 (#382110 - in reply to #382099)
Subject: RE: What would make you hire a custom operator?

Thank you for your response. I am indeed looking at autosteer from the point of being able to work later in the evening. The only reason I ever have had to stop at night was from not being able to see my mark. That was with a 15' drill. I've heard a lot about hairpinning, and to be honest I think I've seen it but I'm not for sure what it looks like. Why is it a problem? If the seed is still placed at a consistant depth and covered properly does it matter?  I have planted a lot of wheat and beans with a dew on and if I'm right I've only seen it 2 times.  Both times it wasn't so much a dew causing the problem--it was too wet to be there anyway.  We are on a heavier clay soil so maybe it supports the residue better?  From your mapdot, it looks like you are close to where I live and were my town job is.  I live in West Jefferson but all this farming is up north near Norwalk.   I was very surprised to see when I came south how many people turn 90* around the corner when no-tilling anything.   One of the first rules I learned was DO NOT TURN WITH THE THING IN THE GROUND when planting.   Maybe the ground is that much mellower down here?

This is a No-till situation behind beans 95% of the time. Sometimes if we mudded the corn out the year before we work it lightly but that is not standard operating procedure. 

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)