AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would make you hire a custom operator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 5/21/2008 10:21 (#382021)
Subject: What would make you hire a custom operator?

Lets say someone was looking to get into the business of custom drilling wheat in the fall. You have your own drill, but what could he say or do to make you hire him and free up some of your time? The area is North Central Ohio, drill would be a 30' 750 JD. Experience? Speed? GPS? Cost? Time?

I am considering trying to do something like this. I am a younger person who wants to farm full time but I have no equipment. I wouldn't be trying to make a killing, rather to get started owning some equipment and get my name out there in the area as a good farmer. I would really love to have a new 1990 CCS but a 30' set of 750 drills is a lot cheaper, and I could make the payment from my town job if I couldn't get enough custom work. I have a lot of experience with the 750 in both beans and wheat but my springtime is pretty well taken working for a local farmer planting beans with his Kinze. The fall is always busy trying to get the crops in, fertilizer spread, tillage done, wheat planted and everything else. From what I've figured I can make it work ok $15 an acre if I could get 1000 acres to plant. That is about all I could do with a 30' machine in our planting window if I had GPS. I don't think I could get 1000 acres done without the GPS.

Anyway, I would like to make up a flier and send to some people to see if maybe I could get some things lined up for fall. I want to know what I need to offer to get the business.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)