AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raining AGAIN in S MN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 5/17/2008 02:04 (#379717 - in reply to #379681)
Subject: RE: Raining AGAIN in S MN

Blue Earth, MN
Isolated showers. Not amounting to much (at least in our area). Should be running again tomorrow. We finally got a nice run here where we could get some corn planted. The corn we planted on the 30th of April is just poking through. We think that is pretty good considering how wet and cold the last 2 weeks have been. Corn that was planted on Monday has a nice root started already. Soil conditions have really changed over the past 48 hours. Forecast is dry and mild temps. I think we are at the start of our dry summer. A LOT of corn was planted in less then ideal conditions. Hearing a lot about sidewall compaction and the furrow opening up. With it starting to dry out, I think we will see the effects of working wet ground with a field cultivator and the compaction layer it can create.

Attached are some pics showing our strip till into soybean stubble where we did fall strip till. As one can see in the pictures, the spring strips are a much nicer place to plant into. The fall strips are good but the spring pass really makes a difference. I also included a picture of some strips that were made in corn stalks when soil conditions were WET. Turned out excellent so far. Starting to get the hang of continuous corn strip tilled. Have a few fields going on year number 3 of strip tilled corn. I think this year looks better then year 2. I have heard continuous corn gets easier after the first year.

Enjoy!

A few videos of the strip till bar in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rlTXXqs5cA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RCujEfETc

Edited by scmn_06 5/17/2008 02:20

(HomeSE40_StripTill_03_sm.JPG)

(100_1065.JPG)

(100_1066_sm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HomeSE40_StripTill_03_sm.JPG (58KB - 73 downloads)
Attachments 100_1065.JPG (36KB - 71 downloads)
Attachments 100_1066_sm.JPG (65KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)