AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn planting questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 5/11/2008 23:37 (#376236)
Subject: corn planting questions

Rivers, MB
Never planted corn before. Not in a typical corn growing area. Trying 2 bags of RR corn as an experiment. Kind of curious to see whether we can grow corn in our area. Heat units will be the issue (and lack of moisture this year possibly. No rain in over a month.). Couple of questions. We are planting into wheat stubble that has minimimal disturbance from banding the fertilizer. Will be using an 8row 30" JD 7000.

How deep to plant. Being told around 2". Is that right? That seems a little deep.

Plant population. Been told to aim for anywhere between 26-29000 seeds/acre.

Fertility. We have a N-P-K-S blend of 100-35-15-15 down and I'm hoping/expecting a yield of 70-90 bu/ac. this is non-irrigated. I know this pales in comparison to the 200plus yields I hear on here but our land costs are less than 800/ac right now so our costs are very different than what I see on here. 70-90 bpa corn would be a viable option for us if we could grow this kind of yield consistently.

This is an experiment. Learning something totally new. Wanting a starting point. Realize that the optimal plant population can differ due to soil type, heat units, straw conditions, variety etc.
Any other pointers for someone starting off.
I love trying a new crop. That's one of the parts of farming that is really fun.

Our area has not been a corn growing area in the past. However, there seem to be more and more lower heat unit varieties available all the time so I'm predicting that corn will become a typical crop for our area within the next 10 years. Helps that we have an ethanol plant 25 miles away that is setup for wheat but is also looking for corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)