AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

work said he got drunk last night
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 5/11/2008 16:06 (#375867 - in reply to #375380)
Subject: Southern Labor

Northeast Louisiana
I know it well. We've been through a lot of sorry help to find the good ones we have now. My Dad and I farm together and have two good employees. One of them has been with us for 14 years now. We provide him with a place to live and a vehicle. Neither of these guys are your typical southern farm hand.

We've put up with a lot of crap over the years. But, when you've got a big crop growing and you need labor, sometimes you have to put up with some things, at least until the season's over.

We had a guy probably 20 years ago that was a great hand when he was sober. He could weld, mechanic, run any peice of equipment and really took pride in his work. But he drank like a fish in the evenings. and was often hung over in the mornings. Eventually he got on drugs, and it was all downhill from there. Sad too, because he was a great little guy when he was straight.

Our workman's comp insurance requires for us to have a written drug and alcohol policy stating that our employees are subject to a drug test at any time, and will be tested at the hospital if they are in an accident. They must sign this policy, and we keep it in their file.

Edited by Deadduck 5/11/2008 16:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)