AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4430 vs 4440
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ronm
Posted 8/21/2006 00:56 (#37572 - in reply to #37396)
Subject: Re: JD 4430 vs 4440

Fruita CO
PB, every 44 was suppose to be checked, whether it got modified or not is ahrd to tell now. My parts book is not real clear about the break. At #21270, they changed planets & sun gear, but they show the 51mm parts w/o a sn#...I think the model year was '74, but don't quote me yet-I will look up the bulletins tomorrow if I remember...I can't really give an answer as to why the problem was worse on 44's, just more weight & stress, I guess, maybe more of them were dualed up? Dunno, but I do know that almost every tractor you take the axles off of, the preload is loose if it hasn't had the lead ball & shim treatment-3020's, 4020's, 4320's you name it...I wish I had a buck for every one I've set up, I did 12 of them in one month once...the modified tractors were suppposed to get a big X marked on the end of the axle, but not all of them got it, & if it's been massaged w/a 12 pounder to move the wheels, it's prob. gone...actually, I think the lead ball method originated w/the giant mod program on 8630's-they had axle preload probs big time too. My 86 info is all second hand, we didn't sell any out of our store. Neighboring store sold one, & hauled it back to a big dealer in eastern CO to get the mod, if I remember right it was 100 hr. of flat rate, one of those deals where you lose your a** if you only have one, but do a bunch & you're makin' money...A walk down memory lane here, brings back the good(?) ol' days.
Ron in CO.
Dang, reading over this, I just realized the X-mark was for axles ground for the undersize bearing, another ofshoot of the loose preload problem
Oh yeah, on the starting fuel question, there's about 3 versions of the "mousetrap", then they went to the hydraulic aneroid actuator on the latest 30's, & all later series. And yes, if the mousetrap isn't adjusted right, it will start just like Fla veg said, ether all year...if you don't get that cloud of road tar when it starts, you're not getting excess fuel.

Edited by ronm 8/21/2006 01:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)