AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rainfastness of Glyphosate spraying question,,,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hawken Cougar
Posted 5/11/2008 11:48 (#375706 - in reply to #375419)
Subject: RE: Rainfastness of Glyphosate spraying question,,,

So. IL

davpal - 5/10/2008 22:56

I am curious as to what the rule of thumb is for how long after you spray does the rain have to hold off to make the product 100% effective? Reason for asking is today I sprayed some of our hunting and wetland areas with my quad with a sprayer in the back with some Cornerstone Plus generic. The instructions are pretty vague about rainfastness. Says if you get a rain right after it may need to be applied again. I did this today from about 4 in the afternoon till about 8 tonight. We are in the middle of Michigan and the rain still looks about at least 12 hours away over the lake as of 11pm. I would guess if we are going to get rain it will roll in around noon tomorrow. That will give it about 15-20 hours of exposure. I have done it around buildings and had it rain and it seemed to be fine. This was a lot more work though and I hope there is enough time. I was thinking today when I was on those wetlands that a lot of people in the dry land areas of this country wouldn't believe the amount of water that falls around here sometimes. Wetland ponds are all full and populated with lots of ducks, geese, sandhill cranes, and redwing blackbirds. I usually see a lot of turkeys, pheasants, and occasional woodcocks flying around there. I will try to get back there with the camera and put some pics up. Any opinions on the glypho situation? Thanks.

The rain will not be an issue. On a warm sunny day with the plants actively growing glyphosate can be taken up by the plant in less than an hour. 

You may still have a problem though. Spraying glyphosate late in the day when the plant is shutting down will reduce the uptake of herbicide. Had you started at 10AM and finished at 2PM I would feel a little more confident about the results you might expect. Given the time that you sprayed I'd bet that the areas sprayed last may not get a good kill. It depends on the rate that you used and the vegetation type. Did you use 2 quarts/acre?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)