AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming clay (hilly) damp land
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GEMLAKEny
Posted 5/10/2008 22:46 (#375374 - in reply to #375337)
Subject: RE: Farming clay (hilly) damp land

Waterloo, N.Y.
alot of clay on place, from i learned form my great uncles wisdom and experiencing the clay i am tilling this week ill give u my 2 cents. you really gotta find just the right moisture level to do work it if it is too wet obviously it will got cloddy and ur seed bed will be terrible, but be very careful to not let it dry out, this will create even a worse situation in which you ur disk will even have trouble doing anything too. when it gets to dry it just gets backed and its impossible to disk or plow with any effectiveness, they stuff i worked today had just enough moisture in the soil for my disk to work up nicely but still had a few dry spots where it barely would dig in. i rent half my land to a minimum till guy who has a no-till corn planter he was planting today but not until he field cultivated it he ALWAYS field cultivates my clay soil then goes in with a no-till planter. We both usually pull our final tillage equipment right in front of our planter or not more then 24 hours after it has been tilled because the top of the clay soil can change so much. on my grain drill(just an old ih5100) i have a unververth culti-planter which is like a mini field cultivator and has rolling baskets in the back to break up the last chunks. Good luck i hope some of my experience can help. o and we only convential plow last years corn ground, and the soybean fields we use 1)heavy duty offset disk (JD killefer) followed by 2)JD Roller Harrow 3) cultiplanter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)