AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn tissue test
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 5/9/2008 09:57 (#374411 - in reply to #374369)
Subject: Tissue sampling some every year but not every field every year.

Little River, TX

A world of wisdom there!

I raise hay and only hay.

I like to pull soil and plant samples the last year in alfalfa. Then the first year back in alfalfa I again sample, to quality check my fertility program.
Every year I plow out one alfalfa field, and every year I plant an alfalfa field. result is 2 samplings every year, just not the in the same field.

Every, end of stand, sampling includes molybdenum for an extra $18.
Then IF my fertilizer application included more than 650 lbs/A 0-0-60 and/or Moly the first of the stand will again include Molybdenum and/or chlorine request. The chlorine to make sure I did not put too much chlorine out with the potash, and the moly to check  there is enough but not too much Moly fertilizer.

On the sod grass hay meadows I sample every 3 years. With 7 fields that is 2 samplings three years running and one sampling the third year.

Plant analysis is very good using a series of ratios of elements. The Process is called DRIS. What this will do is, even though all elements are within the desired range, the Ca/K, Mg/K, M/K and a few others may indicate that the potassium level is a little suspect and consider applying some. The ratios have never lied but there have been times I did not listen.

I do advocate using tissue testing.
Consider yourself lucky you are not on a calcareous soil with a high clay content. Testing for free lime (high pH and too much Ca) was an additional $8. Testing for a measured CEC was an additional $40. The good thing is these values do not change with leaching or crop removal. When established it remains valid for the rest of your life time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)