AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thin Alfalfa, thick brome hay question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 5/7/2008 21:16 (#373335 - in reply to #373276)
Subject: Greg,

Little River, TX
The 20 hp for air conditioning may be a symptom of my being cheap!

I can use an open cab because our fields go east and west, and the wind blows from the south. Custom baling I would like air conditioning to stay out of the dust.

I pull a NH 411 with a Dutch Allis 6260 ie 52 hp. On smooth ground I can run at 11 mph/ or 7 th gear. Have to down shift two gears at the end if I want to turn! My fields are about 138 feet wide so no cross cutting. Just turn on the dirt road at each end. I have tried to cut in road gear but RPMs fell off.

On Rougher ground I will pull at 7 mph and really rough ground at 4 mph.

For raking I use a light 30 hp NH turf tire tractor. Rake with a NH 254 rake tedder.

For baling I use a AC 6060 with a metal roof.

The AC 6260 is also used to pull the NH 1003 balewagon.

I do miss the horses come plowing time, but then I only plow out one alfalfa field each year. With the 6060 I can chisel or run a tandem over it in 3 to 4 hours. Takes a little less time using a poor man's field cultivator.

Unless I went to round baling or baling snow ball haylage a 7000 or 7010 would be more power than I could use.
I do strip till NH3 into my bermudagrass sod. A nice warm cab would be nice for that. Now I hire that done and save a bunch of money.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 5/7/2008 21:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)