AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4720 rate controller problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

sakeller
Posted 5/4/2008 22:44 (#371543)
Subject: JD 4720 rate controller problems

Camrose, Alberta
I sprayed this morning at 10 gpa @ 13 mph (about 26 gal/min) and the sprayer worked great. My next field was at 5 gpa @13 mph (about 14 gal/min). When I was going less than 13 mph (turning corners) the rate controller said "Soultion Rate High" or something like that, the same error it gives when you slow down below your min spray pressure. The pressure would be around 20 psi and the rate controller would say I am applying 8-12 gpa, while I am travelling 9-12 mph. If I increased my speed above 13 mph it would start running properly, unitl I slowed down again. I tried a few things from the manual (cleaned flow meter, changed controller response from 4 to 3, changed my min spray pressure from 20 to 0) but nothing helped.

Even though the rate controller was reading I was overapplying, after I had done 25 acres (at 5 gpa = 125 gallons) it said there was 625 gallons left in the tank, but in actual fact there was about 675 left. So the rate was going on at the correct rate of 5 gpa even though the box was somtimes saying different.

I soon realized the problem only occured when I dropped below 14 gal/min, so I just added more water and sprayed at 8 gpa through larger nozzels (@8-13mph I was then at 14-20 gal/min). I sprayed another 400 acres this way without any problems.

The sprayer is a year old with a 102 foot boom and I got from a custom applicator who travelled much faster, so I am wondering if there is a setting that I have to change to be able to go 13 mph @ 5 gpa (below 14 gal/min)?

Off the top of my head my settings are:
Controller response "3"
High/Low flow valve on back "closed" (for less than 26 gal/min)
Boom charge "auto"
Boom relief pressure "disabled"
Min spray pressure "0" (had it at 20 before)
Spray off pressure "45"
Manual pressure "45"

Thanks for any input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)