AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some Work Here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 4/20/2008 11:30 (#361900 - in reply to #361831)
Subject: RE: questions for hay hud Ohio

SW Ohio
gonna write a book someday.

This was an old hay field I just did, burned it last fall and no-tilled wheat, planted alfalfa/orchard/perrenial rye/timothy for my neighbot who has beef, doesn't beleive in fertilizer. If this was my field and I wanted it to be sucessful I would have soil tested, spread lime and fert last fall, really should have tilled it for roughness, no wheat-companion crops for hay establshment are a waste of time-if you want a hay field plant a hay field!
My fert program is crude, usually spread 100 map and 2-400 potash in spring(winter FEB) on esatblished fields with a little Sencor thrown in. may put more on in fall before last cutting but usually don't, back when I had dairy we would spread manure HEAVY before planting, season before if we planned far enough ahead. In SW Ohio I like to spring plant in March or late summer in August, straight alfafa would get 12-15# seed brillion or 15-20 drilled-not coated seed( who ever came up with that crap?) If mixed or grass cut the alfalfa 30% ,

Old timers always planted oats or wheat to get the hay started, only reason I can think of is t supress weeds(also supressed the hay!) or erosion control, and they had a use for "stubble hay".

Personally don't like to put much fertilizer down with seed, rather do it sooner or later, Hay Wilson has a whole nuther approach.

Wilson? wanna proofread my book?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)