AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH 1480 combine finals question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 4/20/2008 00:43 (#361656 - in reply to #361568)
Subject: Re: IH 1480 combine finals question.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Hey Don, that's another old gray beard, a 79 model. !480 production started in 78 with serial number 1178.
79 started at 1501.
80 started at 14001.
81 started at 24001.
82 started at 34001
83 started at 44001.
84 started at 54001.
85 started at 64001.

My 78 model 1480 is serial number 1471. One that early still has a manual hand wheel on the side of the combine to adjust cleaning fan speed, rather than the electric motor driven fan adjuster all later ones had.
Mine also had a ratchet type feeder slip clutch instead of the plate type slip clutch. They had no feeder section in the shaft monitor, you did not need one, when that ratchet started to buzz right under the cab, you KNEW the feeder was locked.

Here is my take on the 3 bolt, 1 bolt, no bolt axle stubs. any time you cut splines or a keyway on a shaft, you produce a stress riser that just invites cracking. For that reason, and the generous radius that makes the transition from shaft to hub smooth and strong, the one piece axle stub is less prone to break.
That being said, I have never broken an axle stub on my 30 year old 1480. I credit the squatty little narrow 28L-26 tires for that. They do not put much offset and side load on the axles compared to the taller optional tires that everyone else seems to run.
What really got me thinking about that was a post on the harvest .com site. One fellow wanted to replace the small tires on his 1480 with taller ones and was asking for advice on what size and width to get.
One long time 1480 owner replied, " What the heck do you want to put those tall tires on there for, all your going to do is break axle stubs and tear up the body work".
Thinking about that, I have to agree. I have run them too long and run front wheel bearings out of the final drives, but I have never broken an axle stub, the paint still matches on all my side sheet metal. ;-).

The 81 model 1480 I just bought shows a replaced left side panel and wrinkled metal from an axle failure, it has huge 67 X 34.00-30 floater tires on it which will be replaced with 28L-26's before it hits the first field.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)