AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Idea 803 unisystem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 4/20/2008 00:13 (#361629 - in reply to #361213)
Subject: RE: New Idea 803 unisystem

Sunnyside, WA
My family started with a 709 power unit and then moved to a 803C power unit with the chopper. Had RWA and chopped both corn and alfalfa with it. I think they still have it and use it mainly for opening corn fields. I know they switched to a pull type CaseIH (big NH--forget the number) behind a CIH 8940 tractor. Before that, they hired a custom operator with a JD 3970 pull type in alfalfa. Both pull types can out chop a Uni anyday.

I spent quite a bit of time running the 803C mainly. The throat width/cutterhead was the main problem--it was simply too narrow to get any capacity. It also was a long way from the blower to the wagon and would gum up in alfalfa. Seemed like you spent alot of time standing on your head or squeezing in tight places to fix or grease it. It was built narrow to fit on the Uni tractor and that made it hard to service unless you removed the chopper. It did a nice job for us for a lot of years, just wasn't big enough later on.

The hydrostat was very nice, escpecially early on before the full powershift tractors. Always easy to find the right speed. Also very nice in the small, odd shaped fields we delt with. Easy to back out of the corners. The cab was a PIA to climb in and out of all day if you had to unhook wagons. Spent a lot of time riding the right brake on any kind of hill with the right side on the uphill side. Not very balanced side to side. RWA is a must for pulling wagons, otherwise the right front does about nothing and you will simply spin out.

Overall, it was a great concept that the industry outgrew. If I was small and looking for a chopper, I would go for a pull type before a Uni.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)