AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IInternational 1086
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/19/2008 23:42 (#361607 - in reply to #361519)
Subject: RE: Female hydraulic couplers were an SOB ? WRONG!

West Union, Illinois

Sheep Herder - Female hydraulic couplers were a pain to get the male ends to stay in. ... All I know is they are a SOB to hook up.
With all due respect the IH hydraulic coupler was far better than Deere's ... excuse my language but I have heard them called dildo tips because of their shape ... and this ISO crap.

We purchased a used JD 4WD tractor a few years ago with baling wire curled to slide over the levers on the coupler body.  I asked a JD experienced friend about it.  He said that was a common way to hold the tips in on a Deere.  Never had that trouble on any of our old Internationals. 

The only thing wrong with the IH hydraulic couplers was they didn't put a lever behind the couple to pop the female coupler out so the male would engage/disengage properly. But an aftermarket manufacturer made one that worked wonderful.

I can't find one online, I may have to go take a photo of one to show it off.  It was a lever that fit behind the IH coupler body. It pivoted between the upper and lower coupler.  You pushed it forward to kick out the bottom coupler and pulled it back to kick out the top one.

It worked a LOT better than any JD coupler I have tried and was oodles and gobbs better than the ones on the Magnums.  At least on the articulated tractors you could do as was suggested above and push the coupler in and hold the hose so the tip would come out.

We never had an '86 2 WD.  We jumped from the '66 series to the '86 4WD's to the Magnums.  But I would not be afraid of a well maintained 1086.  They were the workhorse of the midwest for several years.

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/19/2008 23:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)