AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dawn closing wheels on a White 6200 planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/19/2008 22:18 (#361509 - in reply to #361492)
Subject: RE: Dawn closing wheels on a White 6200 planter

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mike,

The main reason the planter manufacturers offer a staggered closing wheel position is to reduce the tendency to plug the closers in worked corn stalks with corn root balls all over the field and no row cleaners.

Since you have row cleaners and especially with the Curvetine plugging is not usually an issue at all. I suggest you set them with both sides in the same hole so the wheels are at the same depth and with the same down force.

Probably doesn't make a lot of difference which of the two positions you use, depending on your field conditions.  Personally I like to put them both in the front hole to keep the closers as close to the vee openers and the whole planting operation as short, front to rear, as possible. This is probably only a factor on curved rows or side slopes where the planter may be crabbing slightly.

summary: I like them both in the front hole. Please run them in the first/lightest spring position to start. you will use a lot less closer spring pressure than you would in a similar condition with the rubber tires. I hope it is clear that you use the stud provided on the LH wheel only on the White 6000 and 8000 tail pieces. Thanks for your business.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/19/2008 22:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)