AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tip for those installing Tru-Count with Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/19/2008 15:15 (#361282 - in reply to #361061)
Subject: RE: Tip for those installing Tru-Count with Insight

Pittsburg, Kansas

On a 1790 30" I do not think it would ever be a problem. On 20" planters all the planting units are in the rear position (like the splitter units on 15" planters). This puts them a few feet behind the transport wheels so when going over a terrace at a 90 degree angle, the units are lifted nearly out of the ground and in some cases with real steep terraces they could come all the w2ay out but we have never had that happen. Sometimes the seed will be shallow for two or three feet though. The switches will shut off a little before the paralell linkage actually hits the stop and the units come out of the ground. It is not an ideal situation planting at all. Fortunately it only is much of an issue when planting exactly at 90 degrees to the terrace and on a reasonable steep terrace. With 20" rows not much of a way to get the transport wheels between the units where it would be best so it is just something we have to live with. Most of the time that the switches turn off the units are not out of the ground, just getting close to it. I would rather have the seed continue than to be distracting the operator telling him the rows are shutting off every once in a while. This is why we went to the whisker switch on the frame.

All Bauer DB bars have the wheels to the front of the tool bar so could experience this problem.

I like the other posters idea about putting it on the main frame instead of the wings. We looked at the main frame area but that is where lots of mud gets jammed up when we go through a mud hole so we decided on the wing position. Mud is a real problem on a 1790 CCS main frame wheels. I had not thought about the problem of the Insight thinking we are planting when in the transport position. Darrin has a workaround of shutting the main switch off but then a person has to remember to turn it back on also. We will see how the wing position works out. Sure not going to change it now. If we determine a better location will change it next winter maybe. Got to get some corn in the ground if it ever dries out.

John

Edited by John Burns 4/19/2008 22:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)