AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Third time's a charm? ! ? ! (with pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 4/4/2008 23:07 (#350223)
Subject: Third time's a charm? ! ? ! (with pics)

Hi there. I really hope I get a crop of wheat to grow this time round. This a troublesome old fescue field that is now planted 3 times to wheat this season. I just finished planting today (friday). I have not sprayed anything since the roundup last november to kill the fescue. This is all the wheat that came the first two plantings.

I did'nt have time to take many good pics so I hope these'll do to show you what's going on here.

Making a test trip with each drill. On the left as viewing the picture is what my 10' JD 8200 conventional dd drill did behind a cultipacker. On the right is the pass the Great Plains europen no-till drill made. The rest is untouched field since it's last planting. You can see not much wheat grew.;-( I made the decision real quick that I was going to need to loosen the soil a bit to get my little drill to go into the ground. So I took the vertical tillage coulter tool out and ran it over the side of the field that I would be planting.

After the coulter tool. Different place in the field, but you get the idea.

Absolutely incredible. Dust was flying just a few hours behind the coulter tool. I increased the spring pressure to all it had on my drill. IMO, while it was sunny out and the dust was flying, it was going in and covering better than the no-till drill. Granted I did'nt run the coulter tool infront of the no-till drill, but I did make a test plot in the center of the field that the no-till drill planted. We'll just have to wait and see now what results come from each system.

Before and after the packer and drill. I used the packer cause that's all I have and I wanted to smooth things ouot a bit for planting this fall if we go back into grass or plant any small seed legumes. The no-till side of the field is quite rough. However behind the packer with drying soil on top, it relaly smoothed out the bumps.

:-(( Once again ef't by the forecasters. Evening rain seems to come way early these days, like in the morning? grrrrr!!! Well, I made up my mind I was either going get done or get stuck, whichever was fine with me at the time.;-(( I got it done, but after a few downpours, my metarex meters gummed and quit so I have no slug control in the center half of the field. Now I have a real mess of a planter to clean up. I should send the bill to the stupid useless morons at the weather bureau.

Now it's just wait and see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed cause I'm getting a lot of heckling thrown at me trying this no-till and conservative tillage thing that everyone knows dont work on this side of the cascades...................I know Garth, but I'm a few mile north of you and we're just slow up here,.....k?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)