AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Show and Tell
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 3/4/2008 16:23 (#325672 - in reply to #325236)
Subject: Re: Show and Tell

Alberta, Canada
That was quite the update/upgrade, hopefully the new one can last another 8400 hours!

Seems all dealers are hard to get along with unless your shed is full of at least 500k of their shade of shiny paint. Which unfortunately doesn't take long these days.

No, the bidirectionals aren't very good at field work...... We don't have any grain land ourselves, strictly cattle, so the only thing I've done with it in that regard is harrowing(just smaller paddocks with 35-foot harrows, no big grain fields).

Our TV145 has 2,120 hours on the clock, and 1,000 of those ours were spent on one of the bale processors, while another was spent doing loader work, be it manure, dirt work, snow, or bale handling. The remaining would be transport, with maybe 10 hours harrowing and another 5 on the small square baler.

We are really happy with the large squares..... http://andrusiwfarm.8m.com/photos_hay2007.html ....this is the first year we've had them. In the past, we've always purchased our feed/bedding already baled in 5x6.5-foot rounds.... But several of our main suppliers got out of it this year, so we tried making our own. The big squares were my experiment, and so far the only downside we've found with them is a) stacks need to be covered, obviously, and b) they don't work so well in our bale processors.**

But you may have noticed, we've made a few modifications to the 8000, longer forks and a backboard (plywood) cover on the back. Now it's one of those things that CAN work, just not as well.

I recently demoed a Degelman 4100 Vortex..... http://andrusiwfarm.8m.com/photos_deg4100demo.html ....and found that worked excellent for both rounds and large squares..... only problem is trying to find someone that wants to buy our Highline 8000. It's a year old in near-new condition(the paint's wore off the one side of the tub), with a brand new "Feed Chopper" as of late January, that's seen 4 bales. Our dealers don't want to take it because they can't pay us it's real value and still make money reselling it. But we don't need 3 bale processors.

-Josh

**They work decently well if loaded with a loader, but putting them in with the forks is a bit interesting, as they can sometimes fall in wrong and wind up getting wedged against the side or the front instead of falling into the tub. For under 50% of the bales processed, I'm sure it's fine. But when 100% of the bales put through the processor are square....... another machine would be preferred.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)