AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeder cattle outlook
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/1/2008 20:36 (#323439 - in reply to #323299)
Subject: RE: feeder cattle outlook

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I think you hit the nail on the head - it doesn't seem possible to adjust for $5 corn on the input end. The cow/calf folks are not exactly getting rich either.

The adjustment is going to have to come on the other end with higher fat cattle prices. And this is going to have to come from higher retail beef prices.

The problem with higher fat prices is that with low value dollar now the good beef is going to go overseas and there is going to be more imported beef from whoever/whatever country will sell the cheapest - and you know what that will mean to quality.

Personally I think the end product has got to adjust higher. And we MUST have country of origin labeling! IF folks want cheap beef thats fine - lets just let the consumer know where it is coming from.

With COOL we can get higher retail prices for our quality US beef product, packers can pay more for fats, the feeder may  have to adjust his ration to include other feeds in addition to some corn and the cow/calf folks may be able to make a living too. The key element in my opinion is COOL. People will pay more for quality. But we DO need to produce a quality product! jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/1/2008 20:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)