AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To keep or to buy???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kstate90
Posted 2/26/2008 00:36 (#319622 - in reply to #319354)
Subject: Re: To keep or to buy???

North Central Kansas
Do you have anybody close to you that raises good quality heifers and sells them as pairs? If you sell your heifers and get say $700 and take that money and buy a good quality heifer pair for say $14-1500 you have a cost of $7-800. If you were to keep your heifer and breed it you would have a grass bill and winter bill in her before she calved and another grass bill against her before you would wean the calf that is $450-500 easily. Plus Mineral, vaccine, interest. Those figures are pretty conservative. By buying the pair you have a calf to sell this fall and another one to sell next fall. While in the same timeframe you would only have one calf off of the retained heifer. I realize that you are not saving your genetics, but if you do your homework I think you could find some good quality pairs. I would buy off the ranch not at the sale barn. Go walk through them and see how they handle. I buy mine from my neighbor and have had good luck doing that. They are all pelvic'd and I get to pick after he has picked his. Not first choice, but his taste and mine usually aren't the same. Bought 14 pairs last spring, 100% rebred. First one calved today. Cold and Blowing hard here tonight hope the rest hold off until tommorrow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)