AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need info on composting deads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

steveMIfarmer
Posted 2/25/2008 18:17 (#319186 - in reply to #318968)
Subject: Re: Thanks

West Michigan
Good info guys. We also need to have it on concrete here from what I understand. Just trying to get an idea because we are thinking of switching who we grow for. The farm we are currently with takes the deads at a central location to the landfill. If we switch we would have to take care of it ourselves. Just trying to run some #'s to get an idea of what this would cost us. We are in a populated area so I would want it covered and away from the road. Also would have to buy the skid steer and spreader to compost and powerwasher to do the clean outs. Getting to be a fair amount of $'s to get me to switch. All the extras (washer and handling deads)from the current grower do add up.

Would you want to pour cement walls for bin dividers or just use treated wood? I can see the help getting rammy with the skid steer. Agboy do you know if you can use all chicken litter to compost? Most things I have read say you can use up to 50%. Would like to chat with them (pipestone)if we do decide to make the switch. With corn where it's at and the price of hogs financial stability is factoring into it as well. I want to keep getting paid!!

Edit: Thought I responded at the bottom of posts. Not sure how to move it

Edited by steveMIfarmer 2/25/2008 18:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)