AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets make the WHEAT picture a little more confusing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/24/2008 17:29 (#318318 - in reply to #318062)
Subject: Re: Lets make the WHEAT picture a little more confusing

Pittsburg, Kansas

I agree that a person should not normally make crop decisions based on crop insurance but I also think if a person is paying a premium to have insurance against high risk he also needs to consider what the insurance offers as protection. For example, for us milo is not even a viable option. We might have considered milo instead of corn before crop insurance was available if the season got late but because of having very good proven yields for corn and no yield history so terrible guarantee for milo, milo is not even an option for us except as a non-insured crop following a corn disaster. We can go to the maximum late planting date on corn, take the maximum guarantee hit for late planting, and as long as we can get the corn in the ground the guarantee will be better than raising an average milo crop and way better if we have a crop failure and have to rely on the indemnity for income.

If a person is going to pay for it, he just as well use it to his maximum protection benefit by managing wisely.

I do agree with what I think your premise is though and that is that farming for crop insurance only or totally relying on it to make our farm profitable is a big mistake. 

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)