AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding cows on stalks.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jackND
Posted 2/22/2008 22:41 (#317107 - in reply to #317068)
Subject: RE: Feeding cows on stalks.

Jim, I think mineral consumption is sometimes the most difficult thing I deal with. At certain times of the year,( and depending on diet) a mineral hi in phosphorus is needed. During green grass time a mineral with equal parts of calcium and phos do the trick. Here we need added copper. Feeding alfalfa which is hi in calcium, requires more phos in the mineral to prevent tie-ups. I force feed mineral in a tmr ration at calving until grass time. I have to feed tubs in the summer and fall because loose mineral is consumed 4-5 times the rate needed on my cows. I've been working with a nutritionist for 5 years trying to figure that one out. We're going to take tissue samples this summer and fall on the forage to see if there is an imbalance somewhere.
Feeding corn or grain to cows can be a good thing if done right. The wrong amount can cause tie-ups in the rumen and cause problems. Sometimes a little is good, more is a problem. If I remember what I was told during the last drought and corn was an economical option, 4-5 lbs was OK, then tie-ups occur until you go with a Hi amount as in a finishing diet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)