AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding cows on stalks.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 2/22/2008 19:35 (#316928 - in reply to #316727)
Subject: Re: Feeding cows on stalks.

Are these turned tractor tires made into tubs that you dump some of the grain mix into, or stretched out like a feed bunk? Looks like it would take quite a bit of bunk space to feed a large herd of cows. Is the mineral mixed in with the grain mix and uses salt for a limiter? At times I have done this by hand. What does the "grain mix" consist of? I'm feeding my calves hay and a cracked corn/DDG mix. The 60% corn/40% DDG now costs $198/ton.

Cows are grazing native pasture and since the snow started I have been feeding 3yr old hay. Hay looks green and must have some kick to it. When the cows were on pasture alone they went through a lot of free choice mineral. Since I started feeding hay they have slacked off the mineral.

I put out a bag today and counted 16 bags left. Feed guy put an ad in the paper that price will increase after current supply is gone, so next trip to town I will buy another ton of mineral.

No corn stalks to graze around here. I'm not impressed with the value of baled corn stalks trucked in. IMO, home grown hay is the best forage value if available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)