AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Didn't want to hijack the bale bed thread below...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 2/21/2008 10:38 (#315682 - in reply to #315518)
Subject: Re: Didn't want to hijack the bale bed thread below...

Roy, an older cousin from southern IA had a bale spike on the back of his '73 Chevy 3/4T 2wd many years ago. Pickup had those worthless wide 16.5 bias tires and whenever I was around he had to put the chains on before he started.

I think the bale rig was mfg by a local shop there in southern IA or northern MO. The spike was mounted on brackets through the bumper to the frame. Easy to pull the hinge pins and take off. Electric winch in the bed to lift the bale.

I agree as long as you don't have to go very far bale feeding seems like a pretty tough job for a pickup as far as wear and tear. With dyed fuel my Ford 9600 is a cheap running feeding tractor compared to any pickup and less money in it than a decent pickup and bale bed. Stur-D double bale fork on the back so I can take 2 old bales out and roll 'em out with the dozer. If I was feeding current crop bales that held together better I would use a local shop built unroller.

Someday I might get a bale bed, but one toy on my wish list to get before a bale bed would be a skid steer loader with a hydraulic PHD attachment LOL!

Edited by John SD 2/21/2008 10:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)