AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corner post heaving out of ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 2/21/2008 10:32 (#315676 - in reply to #314381)
Subject: Re: Corner post heaving out of ground

Western Nebraska
I went and took some pictures to show what we do here, and then I read KDD's post and realized that I don't have any idea what I am talking about. I figure since I am already on a roll this week of being unintelligent amongst other things I might as well compound the problem and post them anyway.

The first picture is one to illustrate how not to build a corner for high tensile fences. Because of the way the wire acts you need to do things a little differently with high tensile. On the first corner the big thing I did that is making it fold in on itself is the wires for the fence run on the inside of the corner. This effectively kicks the brace posts out of position and relieves the stress on the corner inward. That allows the wire to pull the corner post out of position and start raising it out of the ground. The other thing I need to point out is that this corner has five high tensile wires pulling on it in two separate directions. I am not entirely sure how to figure the exact pressure, but if they are tensioned correctly each wire will be exerting 250lbs of force. I don't know if you can attribute the full 2500lbs of pressure to each corner post, I was never that great in math, but regardless the corner has much more pressure on it than it would with a five wire barb wire fence pulling each direction.

The second picture is a picture of how to do it right when building a high tensile corner. Notice that the wires are running on the outside of the post. Also notice that I have a second brace wire from the top of the corner to the bottom of the brace post. Now I know that we have been told by the voice of experience that that second wire is not necessary but the fact is it has stopped the corner coming out of the ground. I drill holes all the way through my brace and corner posts and drive spikes into the ends of the horizontal brace. The other thing to point out is that I don't twist my brace wire to tension it. I have never been able to get the brace wire tight enough to lock the corner together by twisting the wire. By the time I have the wire twisted tight enough it breaks. The way I have dealt with the problem is to use high tensile and put ratchets on it. I can get a lot more pressure on the corner without my wires breaking and when I get the wires tight the corner doesn't move.

The other thing to notice is my steers are starting to get some lice and ring worm on them.

Maybe everything I just said is ignorance on display, but it works out here quite well and I will continue to build my corners in the same manner.

(100_3165 (Small).JPG)

(100_3164 (Small).JPG)

(100_3163 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3165 (Small).JPG (63KB - 557 downloads)
Attachments 100_3164 (Small).JPG (53KB - 606 downloads)
Attachments 100_3163 (Small).JPG (54KB - 584 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)