AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corner post heaving out of ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 2/20/2008 17:29 (#314895 - in reply to #314032)
Subject: Re: Corner post heaving out of ground

Leesburg, Ohio
Height of horizontal brace is not critical...just needs to be at about 3/4 the way up the posts or more. "X" configuration of brace wire is a waste...properly done, the "H" brace will move as one rigid assembly anyway. The way I see most X wires done, by twisting together horizontally in the middle, the twisted section removes all rigidity, because the triangular sections of the wire do not intersect. Like this >-< . The longer sides of a single diagonal set of brace wires will provide far more resistance.

There are only two ways to hold an end, in my opinion:

1) 8' end and second post set 8' apart with a deadman anchor set at least 6' behind the end and 4' deep, with bracewire running past end to top of second post.
OR
2) 8' end and second and third posts set 8' apart with INDIVIDUAL brace wires from bottom of end post to top of second post, and from bottom of second post to top of third post. Makes a "double H" brace. Drive all posts with hydraulic driver. Use double figure "8" wrap of hi-tensile wire for bracing, tightened by a hi-tensile ratchet.

Don't mean to sound arrogant, but after building fence for 47 years, I've had a little proof of what works and what doesn't. The hobby farmers around here don't quite have it figured out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)